This article explains how to get started as a publisher on the GameMaker: Marketplace, explaining how to set up your account and add payment options etc... As you'll see, creating your account will only take a few minutes, and will require you to do the following:
- Create a Marketplace Account
- Register for a Marketplace Publisher Account
- Add a PayPal account if you’re going to sell assets, as this is how we’ll pay you
- Explore the Marketplace Developer Console and learn about the publishing process.
Each of these steps is given in more detail below.
Before you can use the GameMaker: Marketplace to buy or sell assets, you must have made a Marketplace account and registered for a Marketplace Publisher account. If you wish to sell asset packages you will also need to have purchased GameMaker: Studio Pro (or higher), since the licence will be tied to your Marketplace account, and without it you cannot upload any assets to sell.
- First create a GameMaker: Marketplace account here (you will need your GameMaker: Studio licence). You can also do this from within GameMaker: Studio by clicking the "Marketplace" menu option and selecting "Log In". You will be presented with a new window to log in to the Marketplace, with a link at the bottom to register as a new user.
- Once you have registered your Market account, visit the Marketplace Publisher Registration page at https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/
- Now you need to enter some basic information about your Publisher identity, like your publisher name, email and type of asset that you are planning on uploading .
- You must read and accept the Marketplace Publisher Agreement before you can finalise your publisher account registration. When you do your submission will be complete, but note that you are still not a publisher, as all registrations have to be verified by YoYo Games. When your registration is verified you will be notified via the email address you provided.
You will next be prompted to give account details for the publisher account. These details will be used to identify the assets that you upload, and you can have multiple publisher accounts related to one personal account. So, for example, you can publish audio assets and graphic assets using two distinct publisher IDs. You can add further publisher accounts from the profile button at the top of the page:
Currently Marketplace only offers payment through PayPal, so when creating a publisher account you will be required to give a valid email for a PayPal account otherwise you cannot be paid. For users from the UK/EU, a valid VAT number (for users outside of the UK, you should precede your VAT number with the two digit country code for your country). If you are planning on uploading free assets to Marketplace then you can ignore these fields.
The Publisher Console
Once your registration has been verified, you can then use the rest of the options from the Publisher Console. This is the "home" of all your asset publishing operations, and you can see a menu of items along the left of the page. Each one will show you different details about your publishing activities:
AssetsThis page gives you a quick overview of your assets (sprites, audio, projects, etc...), and lets you view and edit their details, review sales , download statistics and also publish a new version of your asset. You can also add new assets that you have created for publishing.
ServicesHere you can see the services that you have put on offer to the Marketplace users, as well as edit their details and update or add new ones. For more information on Services, see the article: Marketplace - Services
Account DetailsUpdate your Publisher’s public profile on the store and add payment details through Account Details (see above for further information on setting up a payment account).
User AccessIf you are working within a team you can add multiple users to your Publisher Account and set which parts of the Publisher Console they can access. The account that registers the Publisher account is the owner, with full access to all parts of the Developer Console. The owner can then add user accounts and manager what parts of the Developer Console they have access to. Simply give the email address of the person you wish to add, then check the parts of the publisher identity that you require them to have access to.
AnalyticsThe developer console gives you access to daily sales and download reports and graphs allowing you to track your assets performance. You can filter your reports by several dimensions including Paid or Free, Category, Country and Date.
Having set up your account you will then want to create and submit assets to the store. To aid you in this process, we recommend that you read the following articles as they cover all the necessary details: