If your game is crashing after the splash screen logo, but the build process said everything was okay, and you have an ATI/AMD graphics card, check your Catalyst Control Center options to ensure they are ideally at the defaults, as some optimisations are known to cause issues with Windows 8 apps built with Native, as they have DX11 support.
A common issue is "Morphological Filtering" being on, as, whilst this setting should work with desktop .exes only, it does spill over into accelerated Modern UI apps. So far, we've only seen this on Windows 8.1 using Catalysts 13.9, but a Google search confirms this has been a known issue for a while and affects Windows 8(.0) and older versions of Catalyst drivers.
To check your settings:
- Right-click your desktop and you'll get a shortcut to the Control Center.
- In the left-hand column find Gaming > 3D Application Settings.
- In the right-hand details pane the bottom option in "Anti-Aliasing" is "Morphological Filtering". If this is on, this is your issue. Toggle this to off and then click Apply at the bottom of the window.
- Now try running your game again (there's no need to rebuild it in GM). You should find it loads okay now.
- If your game still crashes, ensure you return to the default "AMD Home" screen in the Catalysts and click the Defaults button, then Apply.