Sometimes, particularly in a strict network environment, you may see the error "Socket Error # 10060 Connection timed out" when starting GameMaker. This is usually related to the way your PC is set up to deal with incoming internet traffic. The error means that GameMaker has managed to send out information to the server, but did not receive a response back in time. This is usually followed by more errors related to the downloading and parsing of XML feeds. This problem can be caused by a number of things:
- Your device lost connection to the internet after GameMaker opened but before it could receive a response from the server.
- Your Anti-virus software or firewall is blocking incoming information from yoyogames.com and store.yoyogames.com, or is blocking GameMaker's access to the internet in general.
- http://store.yoyogames.com/ and http://yoyogames.com/ are blocked on your network or by your internet provider.
- Incoming traffic is rerouted on your network or port 80 is blocked.
- Your connection is handled via a proxy which may be blocking the download of files.
These are not the only causes of this issue, but they are some of the more common ones we have come across. Unfortunately as these issues are usually based on the set up of the machine or network in question, we cannot always provide a fix for every situation and you may need to investigate the issue yourself. However, you should feel free to create a helpdesk ticket if you are stuck.
More information on this error can be found here.